@iLabAfrica is a Centre of Excellence in ICT innovation and Development based at Strathmore University, Kenya. It was established to address the Millennium Development Goals(MDGs) and to contribute toward Kenya’s Vision 2030. The research center is involved in interdisciplinary research, students engagement, collaboration with government, industry and other funding agencies.
Our Vision is to be a leading Centre of Excellence in the uses of ICT in Kenya for development while Our Mission is to provide an environment that promotes technological innovation and provides business support structures and policy direction to harness the potential of ICT as a genuine tool for sustainable development.
Our mission is to provide a nurturing environment that builds on the potential of the youth to develop solutions and businesses that work for the common good in society.
The Centre has over five years experience in startup incubation, acceleration and entrepreneurship development in Kenya.
@iBizAfrica prepares entrepreneurs and innovators to successfully navigate through the different stages of building high growth innovation-driven companies from idea to product-market fit.
Launchpad for success.
Over 300 startups have gone through @iBizAfrica programs. Our startups have become deal-flow for angel and venture capital firms in Kenya. We have launched companies in e-commerce, media, arts, photography, agribusiness, graphic and web design, software development, financial services and tours and travel.
Some top startups from @iBizAfrica include:
- Purpink an online gift shop for personalized gift items.
- M-Ledger a ground-breaking reports and analytics solution for M-Pesa users.
- Lynk Jobs a market place and network for qualified and verified informal workers.
- Magazine Reel a campus news site.
- Buymore Duka POS an affordable and useful smartphone point-of-sale and book-keeping solution for small and micro-merchants.
- Heri Online a household goods e-commerce for direct consumer to manufacturer.
- Henga Systems a software company specializing in mobile solutions.
- Elite Ways Travel a tours and travel company.
- Bismart online insurance market-place and aggregator.
- Zydii an African-focused EdTech platform specialising in personal learning and organizational learning.
@iBizAfrica Incubation Services.
@iBizAfrica provides a range of incubation services geared toward developing startups from the idea stage through product-market fit. We help founders access experienced mentors and coaches and entrepreneurs access the best of talent, technology and expertise from Strathmore University such as Legal, Intellectual Property, Valuation, Lean Startup and Customer Development.
On the last Friday of every month, we invite interested entrepreneurs working on innovative solutions to real market challenges/opportunities to pitch their idea for consideration to join our incubation program.
@iBizAfrica Accelerators, Hackathons and Demo days
@iBizAfrica provides its expertise to partners and collaborations that seek to create impact through innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our top three accelerators include:
- IDEA Foundation Seed Stage Accelerator
- Standard Chartered Women in Tech Program
- Pangea Accelerator
Consulting Services We provide specialised business and innovation related services to startups, organisations and corporates.
- Business Services for Startups.
- Innovation Management Services for Organisations.
- Employee-driven innovation.